This Global Satellite Operator company were engaged in an enterprise-wide organisation design review following an acquisition by private equity. We were engaged to support this review which included an assessment and re-design of management information, insight, and analytics provision. This workstream identified significant challenges with the way they managed and exploited data and analytics which was impacting their ability to compete effectively in a highly competitive market. Project One were asked to provide additional expertise in the Data and Analytics space to further understand and address the problems.
- Data was fragmented and unreliable making fact-based decision making difficult and slow.
- Multiple versions of truth existed with each area of the business struggling to find their own way to capture and deliver data, insight, and analysis.
- Delivery of business intelligence and reporting was manual, inefficient, and often perceived to be inaccurate, whilst insight & analytics provision was very limited.
Project One were asked to assist by understanding the problem and providing a strategy and roadmap towards making the business a ‘Data Driven’ organisation.
Project One provided in-depth expertise in data transformation strategy and programmes, working closely with the client to assess the current state, understand the desired outcomes, and define a strategy and plan for moving to the target state. The current state was assessed to understand the data landscape, capabilities, processes, tools, organisation design and constraints. The future state vision was captured and then developed into a clear strategy for Business Intelligence, Reporting & Analytics delivery using a more efficient centralised model but maintaining close links and capability in the wider business. New organisation design was defined along with clear operating framework including processes, standards, design patterns, capability matrices and governance.
Project One led the design and set up of this new operating framework:
- The new operating model was implemented with dispersed resources brought together into centralised Insight & Analytics team.
- Programme of work to automate and standardise reporting and insight provision was established, releasing cost savings to re-invest in analytics delivery.
- New, organisation model was put in place providing insight partnering out to the wider business areas, backed up by an Agile delivery factory aligned with central data engineering pipeline.