BUSINESS TRANSFORMATION FOR A LEADING DEBT CHARITY
How do you transform the UK’s largest provider of free independent debt advice and managed solutions, who are at the forefront of helping consumers struggling with debt? This is an especially demanding challenge, as StepChange Debt Charity has experienced a 50% rise in demand since 2012 and is expected to double again in the next five years.
This organisational business transformation was driven both out of a necessity to improve processes and legacy systems, as well as a broader ambition to become more effective and efficient, in order to be able to manage substantial future demand.
“Project One started with us in 2016 and helped our organisation construct the business transformation programme. Firstly, they ensured we had a very clear business case that defined not only the investment options and the benefits profile but was robust and realistic in terms of phases of work, systems requirements, communications and training, as well as governance and methods. We had some very real deadlines and further regulatory requirements from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to comply with.” Said Charlie Stewart, Director of corporate services, StepChange.
Charlie’s team and Project One started by ensuring they were controlling the investment costs and ensuring the benefits could be realised, by implementing robust and iterative delivery forums with strong governance. The programme then turned its attention to:
- Managing the technical complexity of delivery
- Finalising the technology choices required for transformation
- Preparing the organisation for change
So where are StepChange today on their business transformation journey?
- They have achieved real progress in defining new processes to a good level of detail
- Data architecture and future requirements to the point that they have run a comprehensive review of potential solutions and providers
- They are now about to start the set up and configuration of a new CRM system, Pega, which will replace some legacy applications and enhance technology’s ability to support the organisation and clients in the future.
At the end of the day, their vision isn’t just to help people recover from challenging financial situations, but to work towards a society free of problem debt. Project One is proud to have helped StepChange move a step closer to this ambition.
“We couldn’t have achieved what we have without the support of Project One. Their experience, resilience and expertise, has been crucial in moving us through this transformation journey.” Charlie Stewart, Director of Corporate Services.